Nursing your baby is one of the most amazing mom-baby experiences. However, this doesn't mean it's wonderful all of the time. To ensure that your nursing sessions are as good as they can possibly be, we've rounded up a few tips and tricks to help you and your little one be as happy and comfortable as can be during this precious time together.
If you breastfeed, take a look at these 10 helpful breastfeeding hacks.
- Wear a "nursing ring," or bracelet which can be switched from hand to hand to remind yourself which side your nursed on last. You can also use one of the breastfeeding or baby care apps. They help you keep track of which side your baby began the last breastfeeding, how long your baby nursed on each side, and more.
- Increase your milk supply with great lactation recipes such as lactation cookies and granola bars with oats, flaxseed meal and brewer's yeast. The soothing mother's milk tea is a powerful drink with nettle, raspberry, alfalfa and dandelion leaves as well as fennel seed and blessed thistle. A natural herb supplement well known for increasing breast milk is fenugreek. It has been used safely and successfully by many moms.
- Mobile breastfeeding is a great way to be hands-free and nurse baby in a sling while you are out and about
- The breast pump can help during the early days when your milk is coming in. Since breast milk works on a supply and demand basis, the pump helps to increase the demand for milk from your body until baby is able to.
- In order to maintain a healthy milk supply make sure to take in 1800-2200 calories per day.
- Infinity scarves work wonderfully as a nursing cover when you are out in the open. Make a fashion statement disguised as a nursing cover.
- Make sure you have a comfortable bra that is not too tight. It is actually not recommended to use an underwire nursing bra, because they are known to reduce milk production and may even lead to blocked milk ducts and/or mastitis. For bigger breasted mommas it is a good idea to look out for a nursing bra with thicker straps, for more support.
- It is extremely important that you drink plenty of water so…make sure to hydrate, hydrate, hydrate!
- Wear a tank top under any t-shirt to make your shirt into a nursing shirt.
- Get in the mood by listening to a relaxing recording